Thursday, January 21, 2010

OUCH PART 2

So, I went home from having my appendectomy Sunday evening still in a lot of pain. I have never had surgery or a urinary tract infection before so I just assumed the pain was normal. Well, I had no appetite and what I did eat came right back up. I had to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes and could hardly go. By Tuesday I was running a fever and in SEVERE pain! Trey called the surgeon and she had me come back to the hospital to have blood work done. Well, my white blood count had gone from 13 when I left the hospital to 19. Then I went to the OB to get examined because I hadn't felt the baby move. Let me just say I was so bloated that I had to wear a maternity shirt I was wearing at 9 months with Mallory!!! The surgeon came down to examine me in the OB office. She felt around and said something was definitely wrong. The OB tried to listen to the heartbeat with the doppler but couldn't find it. He then pulled out the portable ultrasound machine to try to see the baby but couldn't find it! Talk about FREAKING OUT! He then tried to check my cervix but couldn't get to it because my bladder was so enlarged. He had to drain my bladder and got 2300 ml of fluid. That is equivalent to 2.5 liters of coke!!! That is about 800ml more than he has ever seen in anyone! Let me tell you - I felt SO MUCH better after he drained my bladder. I could actually walk by myself again! We then went to have a regular ultrasound and he found the baby and everything was great! My bladder was so distended that they think the baby had moved behind my bladder! We actually found out we are having a BOY!!!!! We are SO excited! The bad news was I had to go in the hospital to get a catheter. I also needed some antibiotics. Well, my white blood count went down but I am still having some bladder issues. I was released from the hospital today with the catheter and will go back Saturday to have it removed. PLEASE PRAY that I can go to the bathroom on my own!!!!! The urologist came to see me and said that because my bladder was so distended that it stretched it and will take several days to get back down to the normal size. We are just praying that everything will heal and work properly soon!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

oh my goodness!!! What a fiasco! We are just so elated that you and Noah are doing great! Andy and I keep looking at each other and smiling saying, we're going to have another nephew! :D We are so happy for you guys, and just pray that you will have a quick and safe recovery!